What opportunities will this course give me?
For some learners this course will provide a basis for further study, as well as a stimulating an interest in the wider subject.
What will I be learning?
This one-day workshop is an introduction to the broad subject which is Archaeology.
The course will cover a range of areas including:
• What is Archaeology? Looking at the definition and what it means to different people. You will be given an explanation of the different branches of the subject.
• First Steps -where to get digging and processing experience. Information will be provided on local archaeological societies such as CBA and ARCHI.
• Tools of the trade -types, handling, and health and safety.
• Finds handling - including identification, dating and the use of aids/guides.
• Recording - how to record, what you find in the ground and individual items.
• Record keeping- finds registers, trench context registers, drawing and photo registers.
• Drawings and photos of the trenches and finds.
• Find conservation and storage.
• Back filling the site.
• Reporting of your findings.
Why is this course for me?
Hands on experience with finds, tools and forms you will need to use in the field, as well as relevant examples and techniques shown by the tutor.
As well as being a member of other relevant archaeological and historical groups, the tutor is a member and Chairman of the Winchester Archaeological Rescue Group (WARG). From his first dig in 1975, he has continued to enjoy and indulge in his passion for archaeology and history.
The tutor has given talks and has written several books, pamphlets, and papers on Archaeology and History.
He continues to learn through reading, studying and attending symposiums.
An Eastleigh College certificate can be awarded on successful completion of the workshop.
What do I need to sign up?
There are no formal entry requirements for this course; this course is suitable for adults wishing to extend their knowledge of Archaeology.
Is there anything else I need to know?
There are no additional requirements in respect of this course.
Please bring a pen and paper or notebook to take notes. Handouts will be provided for you to take home.
There are no additional costs anticipated.
Please note that all courses are subject to minimum numbers and course descriptions may be subject to change. A place on your chosen course is not confirmed until all of the necessary enrolment paperwork is signed and any relevant fees are paid. The team will be in touch to discuss this with you, once your application has been processed.
Click an option below to see more details and to apply.
|C250X||Eastleigh College||14/11/2020||Sat||09:30 – 13:00||1||£39.00||£39.00||Apply now|
* Please note that although this tool looks to give customers the best indication of course costs, a final cost can only be confirmed once all submitted information is verified by our information, advice and guidance team.
Need some further advice?
If you require further advice and guidance about any course costs and/or the funding options available to you, the College has a dedicated Adult and Community Learning team who can be contacted on telephone 023 8091 1270.