What career opportunities can this lead to?
Eastleigh College offer a number of other textile courses - please browse the website for more information.
What are the entry requirements?
The course is suitable for complete beginners and those wishing to develop very basic skills by undertaking this introductory course. However, you should have the passion for dressmaking and a desire to develop your skills.
What does this programme involve?
You will develop knowledge and confidence in dressmaking through:
- Learning how to use a sewing machine
- Taking personal measurements and learning how to adapt a pattern to fit
- Learning how to choose suitable fabrics for fashion styles
- Approaching the process of cutting out and assembling garments in a systematic way
- Sampling seams, hems, buttonholes and zips for a professional finish
- Learning how to use equipment in the workroom safely and with due consideration for others
- Using the creative process to develop personal ideas
- Making at least one item of your choice with guidance and support
- Gaining an understanding of how to use materials, tools and equipment effectively and safely
A college certificate is available upon completion of the course.
How is the programme taught and assessed?
The course will be taught through a practical hands on approach, with theory sessions taking place only as needed.
What else do I need to know?
Learners will require a sewing kit. Full details of what to bring will be provided before the first lesson.
Learners are welcome to bring their own sewing machine to the course. Your sewing machine must be a standard domestic machine in good working order.
Learners are responsible for purchasing necessary material, the cost of which will vary according to the project. In certain cases, the course tutor may source materials for you to purchase.
How do I apply?
Apply by clicking on the APPLY NOW link on this page. Alternatively, you can apply by completing an application form through our Adult and Community Learning team by telephone 023 8091 1270 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Fees will apply if you are over 18. You may be eligible for fee support or a loan. To find out an accurate cost, based on your individual circumstances, please contact our Adult and Community Learning team.
|G12A||Thornden School||23/9/2019||Mon||19:00 – 21:00||10||£148.00||£148.00|
|C76A||Eastleigh College||24/9/2019||Tue||18:30 – 21:00||8||£148.00||£148.00|
|C78B||Eastleigh College||21/1/2020||Tue||18:30 – 21:00||8||£148.00||£148.00||Apply now|
* Please note that although this tool looks to give customers the best indication of course costs, a final cost can only be confirmed once all submitted information is verified by our information, advice and guidance team.
Need any further advice?
If you require further advice and guidance about any course costs and/or the funding options available to you, the College has a dedicated Adult and Community Learning team who can be contacted on telephone 023 8091 1270.
The Equality Act
The College wishes to ensure that it complies with the requirements of the Equality Act 2010. If you are a disabled person, please ensure that we know what you need so that we can make all reasonable adjustments to help you succeed.
Please note all courses descriptions may be subject to change.