What opportunities will this course give me?
Eastleigh College offer a number of other textile courses - please browse the website for more information.
What will I be learning?
This course is suitable for learners who have attended a Beginners or Improvers Dressmaking course, or have some dressmaking experience. You should be a confident user of a sewing machine.
You will learn the following:
• Taking measurements and drafting your own trouser pattern block, discussing suitable fabric for jeans and similar trousers.
• Drafting a jeans pattern with yoke from block, making a toile.
• Making a toile and adjusting the fit and the pattern.
• Pattern cutting your jeans.
• Constructing yoke. Embellishing and applying the back pockets. Top stich detail (you will need two bobbins- optional)
• Constructing and attaching the front-hip pockets.
• Making the front fly.
• Making the waist band with loops.
• Hemming the trousers and finishing touches.
An Eastleigh College certificate can be provided on completion of this course.
Why is this course for me?
This course is essentially a practical class with hands on learning. There will be some group and individual instruction and demonstration.
What do I need to sign up?
Experience of Dressmaking or have completed the Dressmaking Beginners or Improvers course.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Please wear suitable clothing that will allow you to take accurate measurements.
For the first few sessions you will need:
• A notebook and pen
• Tape measure
• 2 metres of narrow elastic (any type)
• 4 metres of pattern cutting paper (dots and cross or alternative)
• Long ruler (square ruler/curve ruler are also useful but not essential)
• Mechanical pencil or pencil and sharper
• Marker (any)
• Paper scissors
• Calico 2 metres
• Sewing thread
• Sewing kit
• Fabric scissors
Later in the course you will need (all to be discussed and clarified in the class):
• Denim zipper (metal)
• Denim fabric
• Fabric for pocket bags (cotton)
• Iron on interfacing
• Rivets (optional)
• Sewing thread and top stitch thread
• Two bobbins (suitable for college sewing machines) or the machine you bring to class
Learners are responsible for the purchase of materials relevant to the course.
Please note that all courses are subject to minimum numbers and course descriptions may be subject to change. A place on your chosen course is not confirmed until all of the necessary enrolment paperwork is signed and any relevant fees are paid. The team will be in touch to discuss this with you, once your application has been processed.
Click an option below to see more details and to apply.
|C761A||Eastleigh College||19/4/2021||Mon||18:30 – 21:00||8||£165.00||£165.00||Apply now|
* Please note that although this tool looks to give customers the best indication of course costs, a final cost can only be confirmed once all submitted information is verified by our information, advice and guidance team.
Need some further advice?
If you require further advice and guidance about any course costs and/or the funding options available to you, the College has a dedicated Adult and Community Learning team who can be contacted on telephone 023 8091 1270.