What opportunities will this course give me?
Other textile courses are offered at Eastleigh College - please browse the website for more information.
What will I be learning?
Save money and the planet. Upcycle your wardrobe without the use of a sewing machine. You will learn how to:
- Upcycle a jersey t-shirt through deconstruction. This is a creative way of changing the look of a t-shirt through slashing, braiding, looping and knotting.
- Personalise your clothes with embroidery. You will learn a few embroidery stitches (chain, feather, cross, back, blanket, outline stitch, and lazy daisy) and how they can be applied for decorative detail on your clothes.
- Personalise items with applique. Create trendy decorative patches finished with embroidery stitches using Bondaweb.
A college certificate will be awarded on request.
Why is this course for me?
This course is taught and assessed through practical demonstration and hands on activities.
What do I need to sign up?
This course is suitable anyone interested in learning how to recycle and reuse old clothing. There are no entry requirements in respect of this course.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Please bring along to the workshop:
- Notepad, pen and pencil
- Clothes that can be upcycled (skirts, shirts, dresses, jeans...)
- One or more jersey t-shirt that can be cut up to change the look. Please be aware, the t-shirt will get tighter or shorter (depending on the techniques used) as you alter it
- Sharp fabric scissors
- Sewing kit with hand sewing needles
- Some sewing and embroidery threads
- Bits of fabric off-cuts in different colours and prints (ideally cotton)
- A bit of calico or similar for sampling the embroidery
- Bondaweb (30cm)
- Embroidery needle
- Embroidery hoop (optional - only if you have one)
Please ensure your course is running before purchasing materials.
Learners are responsible for the purchase of materials necessary for the course.
No other costs are anticipated.
|C317X||Eastleigh College||18/1/2020||Sat||09:30 – 14:30||1||£46.00||£46.00||Apply now|
* Please note that although this tool looks to give customers the best indication of course costs, a final cost can only be confirmed once all submitted information is verified by our information, advice and guidance team.
Need some further advice?
If you require further advice and guidance about any course costs and/or the funding options available to you, the College has a dedicated Adult and Community Learning team who can be contacted on telephone 023 8091 1270.
The Equality Act
The College wishes to ensure that it complies with the requirements of the Equality Act 2010. If you are a disabled person, please ensure that we know what you need so that we can make all reasonable adjustments to help you succeed.
Please note all courses descriptions may be subject to change.