What career opportunities can this lead to?
Other textile courses are offered at Eastleigh College - please browse the website for more information.
What are the entry requirements?
This course is suitable for anyone wishing to learn a new skill by making a handbag or backpack.
Complete beginners are welcome but knowledge of the sewing machine and hand sewing would be an advantage.
What does this programme involve?
This course will enable you to create your own handbag or backpack, either for yourself or as a gift for family and friends.
You can choose to make either a handbag or a backpack from patterns provided by your tutor.
A college certificate will be awarded on request.
How is the programme taught and assessed?
This course is taught through practical demonstration and hands on activities.
What else do I need to know?
Please bring to the workshop:
- 1.0m of exterior fabric or 0.5m of two complementing/contrasting fabrics. The material can be denim, canvas, or curtain fabrics (velvet or similar is not suitable for the project).
- 1.0m of lining fabric such as cotton (silk or similar is not suitable for the project).
- Tape measure.
- Thread to match your material.
- Sewing needles for hand sewing.
- Thread unpicker (if you have one).
- Fabric scissors.
- Buttons or embellishments (optional).
The college will have a selection of fabric you can choose from on the day that can be used for detailing, pockets, etc.
Learners are welcome to bring their own sewing machine if preferred.
Students will be responsible for the purchase of any necessary materials relevant to the course.
How do I apply?
Apply by clicking on the APPLY NOW link on this page. Alternatively, you can apply by completing an application form through our Adult and Community Learning team by telephone 023 8091 1270 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Fees will apply if you are over 18. You may be eligible for fee support or a loan. To find out an accurate cost, based on your individual circumstances, please contact our Adult and Community Learning team.
|C315Z||Eastleigh College||14/11/2019||Thurs||19:00 – 21:00||2||£41.00||£41.00||Apply now|
* Please note that although this tool looks to give customers the best indication of course costs, a final cost can only be confirmed once all submitted information is verified by our information, advice and guidance team.
Need any further advice?
If you require further advice and guidance about any course costs and/or the funding options available to you, the College has a dedicated Adult and Community Learning team who can be contacted on telephone 023 8091 1270.
The Equality Act
The College wishes to ensure that it complies with the requirements of the Equality Act 2010. If you are a disabled person, please ensure that we know what you need so that we can make all reasonable adjustments to help you succeed.
Please note all courses descriptions may be subject to change.