What opportunities will this course give me?
Dressmaking is a wonderful hobby that not only ignites creativity but can be a valuable way to be mindful. Its fun, challenging and results in thoughtful, useful products; whats not to love?
This course will give you the initial knowledge and experience to start creating your own textile items. Alongside a welcoming, highly engaged group, youll learn a variety of useful skills to enable you to continue your dressmaking journey.
So, whether youre simply looking to explore a new hobby or youre hoping to draw in some extra income, this is a fantastic way to kickstart your journey.
Eastleigh College offer a variety of textile courses - please browse the website for more information.
What will I be learning?
You will develop knowledge and confidence in using your sewing machine and dressmaking through:
• Learning how to use a sewing machine
• Taking personal measurements and learning how to adapt a pattern to fit
• Learning how to choose suitable fabrics for fashion styles
• Approaching the process of cutting out and assembling garments in a systematic way
• Sampling seams, hems, buttonholes and zips for a professional finish
• Learning how to use equipment in the workroom safely and with due consideration for others
• Using the creative process to develop personal ideas
• Making at least one item of your choice with guidance and support
• Gaining an understanding of how to use materials, tools and equipment effectively and safely
A college certificate is available upon completion of the course.
Why is this course for me?
The course will be taught through a practical hands on approach, with theory sessions taking place only as needed. You will need your own sewing machine to participate in this course.
How will my learning be enhanced?
The tutor, Zaneta, holds a degree in Fashion and Textile Design with Enterprise and PGCE in Higher Education. She runs her own design and dressmaking business and specialises in pattern-cutting and garment construction. Zaneta also also enjoys textile design and other arts and crafts.
What do I need to sign up?
The course is suitable for complete beginners and those wishing to develop very basic skills by undertaking this introductory course. However, you should have the passion for dressmaking and a desire to develop your skills.
Don't have your own sewing machine? Eastleigh College offer a number of other Dressmaking Beginners courses. Please browse the website for further details.
Is there anything else I need to know?
You will need to bring your sewing machine to this class. Your sewing machine must be a standard domestic machine in good working order.
Learners will also require a sewing kit. Full details of what to bring will be provided before the first lesson.
Learners are responsible for purchasing necessary material, the cost of which will vary according to the project. In certain cases, the course tutor may source materials for you to purchase.
Please note that all courses are subject to minimum numbers and course descriptions may be subject to change. A place on your chosen course is not confirmed until all of the necessary enrolment paperwork is signed and any relevant fees are paid. The team will be in touch to discuss this with you, once your application has been processed.
Click an option below to see more details and to apply.
|M76A||MCC||20/9/2021||Mon||10:00 – 12:30||8||£170.00||£170.00||Apply now|
* Please note that although this tool looks to give customers the best indication of course costs, a final cost can only be confirmed once all submitted information is verified by our information, advice and guidance team.
Need some further advice?
If you require further advice and guidance about any course costs and/or the funding options available to you, the College has a dedicated Adult and Community Learning team who can be contacted on telephone 023 8091 1270.