What career opportunities can this lead to?
Other textile courses are offered at Eastleigh College - please browse the website for more information.
What are the entry requirements?
This course is suitable for anyone interested in learning how to make a festive advent calendar. Learners must have some basic knowledge/experience of how to use a sewing machine.
What does this programme involve?
This handmade item can be reused every year and filled with goodies of your choice. It will make a lovely gift or festive wall feature.
You will learn how to make a decorative fabric advent calendar using the following skills:
- Prepare fabrics for sewing
- Follow a pattern
- Use interfacing, applique, attaching lace and buttons
- You will learn how to apply pockets
- You will learn how to make the final finishes with top stitch
A college certificate will be awarded on request.
How is the programme taught and assessed?
This course is taught and assessed through practical demonstration and hands on activities.
What else do I need to know?
Please bring along to the workshop:
- Sharp fabric scissors
- Sewing kit with pins, hand sewing needles, and thread to go with your fabric choices
- Something to mark fabrics with (chalk or disappearing pen)
- Ruler and pencil
- 3 or more different cotton fabrics (approx 1m each). Choose festive colours and prints or whatever you prefer. Make sure you like how they look together. Bring any other small offcuts that fit your theme if you wish
- 1m of iron on interfacing, woven or fusible, choose a firmer variety
- Decorative items - selection of your choice from lace, ribbons, string, buttons, jingles (optional)
- Wooden hanger to attach the calendar to (optional), or you can create fabric loops instead
- Embroidery threads and needles if you wish to embroider numbers or create button holes (optional)
- Bondaweb (50cm)
Please ensure your course is running before purchasing materials.
Learners are responsible for the purchase of materials relevant to the course.
No other costs are anticipated.
How do I apply?
Apply by clicking on the APPLY NOW link on this page. Alternatively, you can apply by completing an application form through our Adult and Community Learning team by telephone 023 8091 1270 or via email at email@example.com.
*Fees will apply if you are over 18. You may be eligible for fee support or a loan. To find out an accurate cost, based on your individual circumstances, please contact our Adult and Community Learning team.
|C318X||Eastleigh College||16/11/2019||Sat||09:30 – 14:30||1||£46.00||£46.00||Apply now|
* Please note that although this tool looks to give customers the best indication of course costs, a final cost can only be confirmed once all submitted information is verified by our information, advice and guidance team.
Need any further advice?
If you require further advice and guidance about any course costs and/or the funding options available to you, the College has a dedicated Adult and Community Learning team who can be contacted on telephone 023 8091 1270.
The Equality Act
The College wishes to ensure that it complies with the requirements of the Equality Act 2010. If you are a disabled person, please ensure that we know what you need so that we can make all reasonable adjustments to help you succeed.
Please note all courses descriptions may be subject to change.