What opportunities will this course give me?
Students can progress to: Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills; DipHe Counselling/FdA Counselling or BA (Hons) Counselling.
What will I be learning?
The course runs for a total of 24 hours over 8 weeks, with an expectation that approximately 12 hours will be spent on individual study outside the course time, approximately 1.5 hours per week.
The overall aims of this introductory course are:
- To enhance and improve the verbal and the written communication skills of participants. Emphasis will be given to working in groups.
- To provide an introduction to the demanding nature of vocational training, especially in counsellor skills training.
- To introduce learners to experiential learning that will include an element of personal growth work and developing self-confidence.
- To prepare learners to progress on to the ABC Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills course run at Eastleigh College or other appropriate further qualifications.
On successful completion of the course, students will be awarded with a Basics of Counselling - College Certificate. A certificate will be awarded to those students who attend for a minimum of 80% of the course and complete:-
1) A weekly Learning Journal (Reflections on Learning).
2) A course workbook to include writing about topics covered on the course.
3) A written assignment about four major life influences.
These assignments will be marked and assessed internally.
At the end of the course you will:
- Have a basic understanding of what counselling is about and be able to compare and contrast counselling with other forms of helping.
- Have some basic counselling skills to further improve your own communication processes.
- Understand more clearly what counselling training entails and be able to make a more informed choice as to whether or not you are suited to undertake vocational counselling training as opposed to other types of training.
Why is this course for me?
The learning will take place in a variety of ways, with an emphasis on the experiential, including:-
- Tutor presentation
- Group discussions
- Practice sessions in small groups
- Experiential group exercises
- Tutor and peer feedback
- Self-awareness exercises
What do I need to sign up?
There are no formal entry requirements for this course. The course is for anyone who would like to explore their interest in counselling.
Please note that family members should not be enrolled on the same course due to the sensitive issues discussed within the sessions. Students should not be experiencing current personal problems if intending to take part in the counselling programme of courses. Students need to be 19 and over with the maturity to work with older adults.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Please bring a pen and paper to class.
Please note there is an expectation that learners spend approximately 1.5 hours per week on individual study outside of the course time, to ensure you achieve the most from your course.
Students are responsible for the purchase of any materials relevant to the course.
|F4B||Dovetail Centre||21/1/2020||Tue||09:30 – 12:30||8||£171.00||£171.00|
|L818B||Wildern School||16/1/2020||Thu||18:30 – 21:30||8||£171.00||£171.00|
|C203A||Eastleigh College||30/9/2019||Mon||18:30 – 21:30||8||£171.00||£171.00|
|C203C||Eastleigh College||28/4/2020||Tue||18:30 – 21:30||8||£171.00||£171.00||Apply now|
|P4C||Pavilion on the Park||24/4/2020||Fri||09:30 – 12:30||8||£171.00||£171.00||Apply now|
|G526A||Thornden School||9/10/2019||Wed||18:30 – 21:30||8||£171.00||£171.00|
* Please note that although this tool looks to give customers the best indication of course costs, a final cost can only be confirmed once all submitted information is verified by our information, advice and guidance team.
Need some further advice?
If you require further advice and guidance about any course costs and/or the funding options available to you, the College has a dedicated Adult and Community Learning team who can be contacted on telephone 023 8091 1270.
The Equality Act
The College wishes to ensure that it complies with the requirements of the Equality Act 2010. If you are a disabled person, please ensure that we know what you need so that we can make all reasonable adjustments to help you succeed.
Please note all courses descriptions may be subject to change.