What opportunities will this course give me?
Students may wish to progress to one of the other computer courses offered by the college; please browse our website for details.
What will I be learning?
The internet has done a staggering amount for humanity, helping us to build communities, exchange ideas, and accomplish more than at any other point in our history. However, it is indiscriminate in it's generosity, and has offered many new opportunities for hoaxers and hackers.
Understanding and using the internet is the only way to stay relevant and connected to today's world, but it is important to know how to do this safely and confidently. Awareness of common pitfalls is crucial, and will eventually help lead to a decrease in scams and predators online.
* Introduction: The session will start with an overview of various things you can do online, and the wide range of ways it can improve quality of life.
* Privacy: This section will cover how GDPR affects internet users, and how to protect personal information online.
* Security: We will talk about firewalls, antivirus software, viruses, trojan horses, malware, and other potential attackers.
* Common Scams: We will cover various email and social media scams, and tools for checking the veracity of internet content, such as Snopes.
A College Certificate will be awarded on request.
Why is this course for me?
You will learn through demonstration, discussion and by viewing different websites.
What do I need to sign up?
This is a one day workshop designed to teach the basics of internet safety. Students will learn how to feel confident and secure conducting their business online and navigating social media sites.
There are no formal entry requirements in respect of this course; it is suitable for anyone who is anxious about using the Internet.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Please bring a pen and paper to the workshop.
No additional costs are anticipated for students attending this course.
|C946Y||Eastleigh College||1/2/2020||Sat||09:30 – 12:30||1||£31.00||£31.00||Apply now|
* Please note that although this tool looks to give customers the best indication of course costs, a final cost can only be confirmed once all submitted information is verified by our information, advice and guidance team.
Need some further advice?
If you require further advice and guidance about any course costs and/or the funding options available to you, the College has a dedicated Adult and Community Learning team who can be contacted on telephone 023 8091 1270.
The Equality Act
The College wishes to ensure that it complies with the requirements of the Equality Act 2010. If you are a disabled person, please ensure that we know what you need so that we can make all reasonable adjustments to help you succeed.
Please note all courses descriptions may be subject to change.