St George Catholic College would like to appoint an Assistant Site Manager. We are seeking a confident individual who is organised and can work both independently and as a team member. The role requires a professional, courteous, can-do and flexible attitude. In liaison with, and in the absence of, the Site Manager take responsibility for the maintenance and security of the school premises and site ensuring that the school meets with health and safety legislation and is a safe environment for the school community. Previous site experience is would be helpful and a background of working in schools would be desirable for this role. Please refer to the Job Description for full details of the role.
As a Catholic school, the senior staff work with the Executive Headteacher, Headteacher and the Governors in realising the educational Mission of the Church which is reflected in the school's vision statement, its SEF and the school development plan.
As an Assistant Site Manager you will share responsibility for the ethos, management and development of the school.
All post holders are expected to support the school’s aims, familiarise themselves with school policies and procedures and to reinforce these with students, parent and clients where appropriate. The responsibilities are subject to the general duties and responsibilities contained in the Statement of Conditions of Employment. This school is committed to safeguarding and protecting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All posts are subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Hours: 37 hours x 52 weeks
Annual Leave: Annual leave to be taken during the College closure period but not at the same time as the Site Manager.
Responsible to: Site Manager & Assistant Headteacher
Overall Function: To be responsible for the security, safety and maintenance of the College site and buildings.
Section 1 Sets out a number of core tasks which the assistant site manager will undertake on a day to day basis.
Section 2 Lists a number of tasks which will be carried out as additional responsibilities.
Section 1 – Core Tasks
- To be a key holder responsible for security and to arrange access to the site for contractors and other authorised persons at all reasonable times during the shift as agreed with the Headteacher/Line Manager (Site Manager)
- To assist the Site Manager with organizing cleaners when needed, due to sickness or absence.
- When on duty, to direct workmen and contractors to the site of repair or maintenance work and verify that contractors have attended and appear to have completed the task for which they were hired.
- To detect and report building defects to the Site Manager and consult with the Site Manager regarding emergency repairs to building or furniture. To be able to resolve problems and defects or bring in contractors if required.
- To arrange and/or carry out the movement of furniture and equipment within the site e.g. setting up of examination halls.
- To assist with the checking of and distribution of items delivered to the site as required.
- To undertake any action as directed by the Headteacher/Line Manager in the event of bad weather or emergency e.g. clearing of snow or ice from paths, dealing with floods, fire, break-in etc.
- When on duty, to be responsible for the operation of lighting and heating equipment, tripped RCDs and general faults.
- To order and account for cleaning items. The issue of these items and a general knowledge of COSHH.
- When on duty, to wear uniform and carry communications equipment phone/radio at all times.
- To create and maintain a safe environment, ensuring that health and safety regulations and safe working procedures are adhered to throughout the school.
- To keep a log of maintenance work completed.
Section 2 – Other Tasks
- To carry out maintenance repairs to the building and grounds as directed by the Headteacher/Site Manager & Assistant Headteacher. A good level of painting and decorating experience is needed.
- To ensure the grounds and hard areas remain tidy by removing litter twice a day etc, This is to include the pavements on the outside of the perimeter fence.
- To be responsible for the school outside areas, sweeping and tidying as required.
- When on duty to liaise with Southampton City Council Building Design Services staff and other contractors when they visit site.
- To provide information on the state and condition of furniture and fittings and to provide repair service as required.
- To take responsibility of the site and security of the school, when on duty. You may be required to oversee lettings in the evening and at the weekend when you will take responsibility for the site.
- To cover for the Site Manager in his absence, including the supervision of the cleaning staff.
- To assist the Site Manager with compliancy checks as required. Testing of alarms, water flushing, boiler room checks etc.
- To report any Health and Safety concerns to the Site Operations Manager.
- Each day clear the all-weather pitch of litter and other pollutants such as leaves.
- Complete weekly maintenance on the all-weather pitch. This includes using the equipment and sweeping it once/twice a week.
- To undertake basic inspections of the college’s fleet of vehicles refuelling and cleaning checking tyre pressures etc.
- To check and maintain all classroom clocks as well as the college bells.
- To undertake any other duties as reasonably requested by the Headteacher or the Site Manager.
- To collect equipment when required from stores for maintenance and cleaning work.
Periodic Tasks carried out as needed or directed.
- Undertake, or arrange for handyperson, projected improvement within your/shift caretakers’ level of competence.
- Attend to and clear up any emergency occurring whilst on duty including spillages, floods and bodily fluids.
- Prepare areas within the school that are used for school related activities and functions, moving furniture etc as needed.
- Enable access of and liaise with authorised contractors.
- Respond to any call out from emergency services as principal (but not sole) key holder.
- When necessary organise any emergency repairs to secure the building.
- Ensure snow and ice are cleared and apply rock salt to external paths as needed.
- Organise the movement of goods as required after delivery, assisting with unloading heavy items when on site.
The Assistant Site Manager will be required to take responsibility for lettings in the evenings and weekends to ensure that the school site is supervised by either the Site Manager, Assistant Site Manager or the Lettings Supervisor at the weekend only. This includes ensuring the site is open for use for lettings and then locked up securely at the end of the letting.
Health and Safety
In carrying out the above tasks the Assistant Site Manager will be expected to create and maintain a safe environment by ensuring that health and safety regulations and agreed codes of practice for SCC employees are adhered to.
Conditions of Service
There will be two shifts which will be shared between the Site Manager and the Assistant Site Manager in agreement with the Assistant Headteacher.
These are taken in a one week duration.
Shift 1: 6:00am-2:00pm Monday-Thursday
Shift 2: 2:00pm-10:00pm Monday –Thursday
This can be subject to change with notice.
Half hour break to be taken mid-shift.
Shift times will be revised during holiday periods and notification of time changes will be given.
You will be required to carry out a split shift whilst the site manager is on leave or absent.
Supporting the school
At an appropriate level, according to the job role, grade and training received, all employees in the school are expected to:
- Support the aims, values, mission and ethos of the school and participate in a team approach to all aspects of school life.
- Attend and contribute to staff meetings and INSET days as required, and identify areas of personal practice and experience to develop.
- Take appropriate responsibility for safeguarding and children’s welfare and be aware of confidential issues linked to home/child/teacher/school and keep confidences appropriately.
- Be aware of health and safety issues and act in accordance with the school’s Health and Safety Policy.
Any other duties which reasonably fall within the purview of the post, which may be allocated by the Headteacher after consultation with the postholder.
For further details of this exciting opportunity, please fill out the relevant application forms on the vacancies section of our website, www.stgcc.co.uk, and return to Mrs Jeanine Bonavia, PA to the Headteacher, at firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline below. Visits are welcome and can be arranged by contacting Mr Shaun Gray on email@example.com