Summer Play Worker
Summer Play Workers - fixed term contract from 24th July until 3rd September 2023
Salary: Band 4 - £21,205 p.a. (will be pro rata'd according to number of hours)
Various contracts available between 18 - 35 hours per week - must be available to work Monday – Saturday between 24th July – 3rd September 2023
What is the role?
We are looking for an enthusiastic fun and friendly person who has the ability to engage with children and their families, is able to be proactive and meet the needs of the children on an adventure playground.
You will be supporting activities for children aged 6 -13 over the summer holidays at council run Adventure Playgrounds in the Portsmouth area and the Leigh Park Play in the Park project. Activities include Arts & Crafts, Sports and other creative activities. You will be engaging and communicating with children from varying backgrounds as well as interacting with their parents and your own colleagues. You will also be responsible for ensuring the sites are a safe environment for children to play in and report any potential dangers.
You will be required to attend some mandatory training prior to starting the role which you will be paid for. The location and dates can be flexible to suit your availability. This will include some evening working till 7pm on an Adventure Playground. From the 24th July you will be working on the adventure playground in the Portsmouth area on a rota basis between 10.00am - 6.00pm Monday - Saturday.
Who is the person?
You need to:
- Be aged 18 or over.
- Demonstrate an understanding for Safeguarding children in this role
- Be available for the whole scheme from 24th July to 3rd September 2023. In exceptional circumstances leave requests may be considered.
- Be self-motivated and have enthusiasm to support creative activities for children.
- Be able to relate to younger people.
- Have good communication skills. You will be talking to a wide range of people including children, parents and colleagues.
- Be a team player who can work in small teams effectively.
- Be flexible enough to be based in any of the play schemes throughout Portsmouth and the surrounding area.
Closing date for applications: 4th June 2023
Interviews will be arranged after short listing has taken place
When completing the application form, please upload a personal statement which is thoroughly tailored to the 'Who is the Person' bullet points above with the use of examples from your experience or transferable skills. This should be attached to the 'Supporting Documents' section. Please click HERE for the full job profile!
We are a disability confident employer - committed to ensuring that our recruitment and selection process is inclusive and accessible and welcome applications from all areas of society.
We really appreciate our employees and fully realise they are essential to our success and look to offer an inclusive, supportive working environment where employees can reach their potentials with a healthy work life balance, offering the following rewards:
- A generous pension scheme
- Up to 31 days annual leave per year + bank holidays
- A range of retail discounts via our reward portal offering discounts at retailers including IKEA, Currys, Tesco
- Free Access to Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and wellbeing support
- Access to a wide range of training and development opportunities including apprenticeships
- Potential to purchase additional annual leave
- Business travel support and initiatives, including bike loans