Can I still enrol my employees onto a programme during the Covid-19 pandemic?

Yes. Enrolment for apprenticeships has not stopped. We are still taking applications for September and will continue to take applications all year round.

I am looking for an apprentice, can the College help me?

Yes. The College currently has over 100 apprentices ready to start a course and waiting for an Employer. If you have any further questions, are considering taking on an Apprentice or accrediting an existing member of staff through an Apprenticeship, then please feel free to contact us on 023 8091 1195 or email our team here.

Who can be an apprentice?

Apprenticeships can help you to bring valuable skills into your business by employing someone new or upskilling a current employee. They are suitable for people at any level.

An apprentice must:

  • be 16 or over by the end of the summer holidays
  • live in England
  • not be in full-time education

Can I get financial support from the Government for training and assessment?

If you are an employer with a pay bill of more than £3 million, you are required to pay the apprenticeship levy. You will receive funds through the Digital Apprenticeship Service to spend on training and assessing your apprentices.

If you're an employer with fewer than 50 employees, the government will fund all the apprenticeship training costs up to the funding band maximum.

If you have at least 50 employees or your apprentice does not meet the criteria above, you will share apprenticeship costs with the government. This means you'll pay 5% towards the cost of training and assessing your apprentice and the government will pay the remaining 95%, up to the funding band maximum.

All employers will receive £1,000 if, at the start of the apprenticeship, the apprentice is between 16 and 18 years old (or 15 years old if the apprentice's 16th birthday is between the last Friday of June and 31 August) or between 19 and 24 years old and has either an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan provided by their local authority or has been in the care of their local authority.

Is there any additional financial support from the Government during the Covid-19 pandemic?

There will be a new payment of £2,000 to employers in England for each new apprentice they hire aged under 25, and a £1,500 payment for each new apprentice they hire aged 25 and over, from 1st August 2020 to 31st January 2021. These payments will be in addition to the existing £1,000 payment for new 16-18 year-old apprentices, and those aged under 25 with an education, health and care plan (EHC).

The apprentice must be a new employee to the business, have a contract of employment start date between 1st August 2020 and 31st January 2021 (inclusive) and must not have been employed by the employer within the six months prior to the contract start date.

Claims can start to be made by employers in relation to these apprentices from 1st September 2020. Those claims must be made through the apprenticeship service.

There will be two levels of payment based on age. For apprentices aged 16-24 the payment will be £2,000, and for apprentices aged 25 or over the payment will be £1,500. The payment will be made directly to employers in two equal instalments, where the apprentice is still in learning at day 90 and day 365.

There will be no limit on the number of incentive payments that an employer can claim for apprentices eligible to receive funding, provided each apprentice meets the criteria, including being a new employee.

You can find out more on the Government website here.

Do you have online courses for employees unable to attend the College?

Yes. We have many online courses for both young and adult learners, whether currently in or seeking employment. Full funding is available for learners unemployed at any age over 19, or employed individuals aged 24 and over. Plus, learners aged 19-23 can access full funding if they already hold prior level 2 award or above. See information about our Online Learning courses here.

Our Covid-19 bounce back pledge

In a bid to support the Solent and South Hampshire’s economic recovery in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic, Eastleigh College has launched an ambitious and collaborative pledge which aims to benefit individuals, employers and communities across the region. The pledge has been developed with support from a number of stakeholders including business groups, employers, councils, schools and University of Portsmouth. More information can be found here. If you want to work with us, be trained by us, join forces with us or simply support us, please email us or use #c19pledge on social media.