What opportunities will this course give me?
This Training will allow learners to gain the detailed knowledge and experience that allows entry to the gas industry and embark on their new career as a Gas Safe registered operative.
What will I be learning?
Gas engineering involves the safe installation, commission, decommission and the ongoing service and repair of gas appliances in either a domestic or non-domestic setting. Roles in gas engineering will include explaining how installations and appliances work, providing energy efficiency advice and ensuring customer service excellence at all times. Gas engineering operates strictly within the requirements of health and safety legislation
Why is this course for me?
You will learn through a combination of on and off-the-job training. You will attend college on an agreed pattern and be given Directed study to complete along side this.
How will my learning be enhanced?
• Electrical awareness and be able to carry out safe isolation and essential electrical safety checks
• Combustion, combustion analysis, gas properties, carbon monoxide (CO), and types of burners
• Flues and ventilation principles
• The necessary safety checks following gas work on an appliance (regulation 26/9)
• The range and suitability of appliances
• The statutory and normative documentation including building regulations, water regulations and electrical regulations
• Emergency procedures, including gas escapes, report of fumes and for unsafe situations
• A knowledge and understanding of four appliances
• System design, location, controls, flue types for appliances and smart controls
• An awareness of green technologies
• The properties of Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG)
• An awareness of fuel storage - tanks and bottles (Liquid Petroleum Gas - LPG)
• Carry out safe isolation essential electrical safety checks
• Carry out flue testing
• Undertake the necessary safety checks following gas work on an appliance (regulation 26/9)
• Work in compliance with statutory and normative documentation including building regulations, water regulations and electrical regulations
• Access and comply with technical guidance, bulletins and safety alerts e.g. Gas Industry Unsafe Situations Procedures (GIUSP)
• Demonstrate tightness testing, purging and relight procedures on gas installations
• Demonstrate pipework installations/pipework skills, pressure and flow/pipework sizing, meter installations
• Demonstrate ambient air testing/carbon monoxide/dioxide atmosphere testing
• Identify gas safety controls and prove their safe operation
• Complete records and maintain records accordingly
• Identify faults and take the appropriate action
• Undertake the installation, repair and maintenance across a range of five appliances
• Reinstate following completion of works cleaning up and making good
Why is Eastleigh College my best choice?
Our teaching, learning and assessment is delivered by well qualified sector specialists supported by learner and business support colleagues who are experts in their fields and Our workshops provide the same industry standard learning environment that learners can expect to find in the workplace
What do I need to sign up?
Entry is subject to interview and assessment. You will need to have relevant employment with a Gas Safe Registered employer. In addition, you will need to have a level 2 in Plumbing or related and a level 2 grade 4/C in Math and English
Please note that all courses are subject to minimum numbers and course descriptions may be subject to change. A place on your chosen course is not confirmed until all of the necessary enrolment paperwork is signed and any relevant fees are paid. The team will be in touch to discuss this with you, once your application has been processed.
Click an option below to see more details and to apply.
25/4/2022 - Apply Now
09:00 – 16:00
|GEN3B||Eastleigh College||25/4/2022||Mon||09:00 – 16:00||36||£3,394.00||£3,394.00||Apply now|
|GEN31||Eastleigh College||13/9/2022||Tue & Thu||17:30 – 20:30||38||£3,394.00||£3,394.00||Apply now|
* Please note that although this tool looks to give customers the best indication of course costs, a final cost can only be confirmed once all submitted information is verified by our information, advice and guidance team.
Need some further advice?
If you require further advice and guidance about any course costs and/or the funding options available to you, the College has a dedicated Information, Advice and Guidance team who can be contacted on telephone 023 8091 1299.
The Equality Act
The College wishes to ensure that it complies with the requirements of the Equality Act 2010. If you are a disabled person, please ensure that we know what you need so that we can make all reasonable adjustments to help you succeed.
Please note all courses descriptions may be subject to change.