What opportunities will this course give me?
More and more, people are turning to a career in counselling as a fulfilling, varied way to have an impact on a society heavily impacted by mental health. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is just one of the influential ways to support those living with different mental health issues.
Curated in collaboration with University of Portsmouth, the BSc (Hons) in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy teaches students the ways in which CBT can be used for anxiety, depression, panic attacks, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and anxiety. You will also discover how this popular modality can support those struggling with sleep, anger issues, chronic fatigue and other long-term health ailments such as chronic pain.
You will be taught through role-play, and also dig into ethical dilemmas, professional and legal issues. Delivered across two semesters - and taught from Eastleigh College - you will leave with a robust and expansive understanding of the benefit of CBT and how to safely deliver it to people from all walks of life.
What will I be learning?
This BSc (Hons) Cognitive Behavioural undergraduate level 6 course will enable you to work in most settings as a CBT therapist or set up your private counselling practice. It is a competitive field so you might decide to complete a level 7 and get a full accreditation with BABCP - but at this level membership to the BABCP is highly recommended - as there they offer:
• Preferential rates at nationally organised Annual and Spring Conferences, Workshops, Masterclasses and CPD events, with many delivered free of charge
• Free copies of the membership magazine CBT Today
• Free copies of the journal Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapy and free access to our online journal the Cognitive Behaviour Therapist - plus the opportunity to submit and publish articles for these high-quality peer-reviewed journals
• Access to a wide range of live and recorded CPD Webinars
• Access to a wide range of information and services via the BABCP website
• Membership of a lively network of regional Branches and Special Interest Groups who organise their own CPD events
• The opportunity to become accredited as a CBT psychotherapist, trainer or supervisor, which is available to members who meet specific criteria
• Automatic membership of the European Association for Behavioural & Cognitive Therapies, (EABCT) and the European community, allowing members to attend the annual European Congress and tri-annual World Congress at preferential rates
• Automatic membership to the World Confederation of Cognitive Behavioural Therapies (WCCBT) making you part of a global body and the resources it provides.
• Exclusive preferential rates for professional liability and indemnity insurance cover with Balens Ltd.
Why is this course for me?
We understand that all students learn in different ways, and thats why the course has been designed with a selection of theory, skills and personal development, taught through both individual and group projects with an emphasis on experiential and student-centred learning.
You will be a part of a small group of students, creating an intimate learning environment where you can truly thrive. In addition, you will have access to University of Portsmouths impressive suite of resources, as well opportunities to connect with the universitys community.
This Bachelors degree will give you the knowledge needed to apply for roles in health centres or therapy clinics, within the NHS, private hospitals, prisons and the community. With experience, you could supervise other CBT practitioners.
The course also involves blended learning, meaning students have the opportunity to access lectures and activities at a time that works for them.
How will my learning be enhanced?
Alongside the abundance of resources available from both Eastleigh College and University of Portsmouth, the course also includes a selection of workshops and guest speakers throughout the year.
You will be encouraged to continue with personal therapy throughout the course, as well as register for British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) membership or the British Association for Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapies; both come at an additional cost, with therapy costing anywhere between £30-£70 per hour, BACP membership at £82 per year and BABCP £28 student member per year. Both personal therapy and membership with a professional body will enormously benefit and enrich your learning experience, giving you first-hand experience of the world of CBT.
What do I need to sign up?
A counselling qualification at Level 5 plus proof of 100 counselling placement hours. Applicants must pass Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check before starting the course.
Please note that all courses are subject to minimum numbers and course descriptions may be subject to change. A place on your chosen course is not confirmed until all of the necessary enrolment paperwork is signed and any relevant fees are paid. The team will be in touch to discuss this with you, once your application has been processed.
Click an option below to see more details and to apply.
1/3/2024 - Apply Now
09:00 – 16:30
|UPT3F||Eastleigh College||1/3/2024||Fri||09:00 – 16:30||35||£9,250.00||£9,250.00||Apply now|
* Please note that although this tool looks to give customers the best indication of course costs, a final cost can only be confirmed once all submitted information is verified by our information, advice and guidance team.
Need some further advice?
Contact the Brand, Engagement and Learner Recruitment Team for further guidance - email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 023 8091 1000.
Counselling courses are ‘life-changing’ say HE Learners
Counselling is a continuously evolving career choice and the new DipHE Counselling Diploma qualifications at Eastleigh College are proving popular with learners looking to take their next steps towards this fulfilling and impactful career path. Diploma-qualified counsellors now have the option to top up their counselling diploma (DipHE) to a Bachelor degree with Eastleigh College.
Eastleigh College students reap benefits of university partnership
Eastleigh College and University of Portsmouth launch strategic partnership in support of Higher Education students and apprentices.