What opportunities will this course give me?
This largely practical programme is for individuals who have a genuine interest in carpentry or joinery and wish to gain employment in the industry.
Progression after the programme could be onto Level 2 Carpentry, Advanced Construction Award or employment in the industry; or an Apprenticeship.
During the first year of the programme students will work towards Level 1 Carpentry and Joinery. Upon successful completion, you will be able to study at Level 2.
Both of these qualifications have been developed to recognise certain skills and knowledge which are necessary to work in a particular occupation, but which do not cover the full range of competence demanded by NVQs. After completing the programme and demonstrating competence on site, you may wish to develop your skills further and work towards higher NVQs/ Diplomas in carpentry or joinery.
What will I be learning?
What does this programme involve?
Level 1 Site Carpentry is made up of units:
• Carry out safe working practices
• Information, quantities and communication with others
• Building methods and construction technology
• Basic woodworking joints
• Maintaining and using hand and portable power tools
Progressing onto Level 2 will reinforce your knowledge and you will complete the following units:-
• *Health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
• Understanding information, quantities and communication with others
• Understanding construction technology
• Carry out first and second fixing operations
• Structural carcassing
• Maintenance to non-structural carcassing operations
• *Prepare and use portable power tools
*Level 1 exemption
Why is this course for me?
This is essentially a practical programme, although there are written assignments linked to the practical work and a phase test. There is also an externally set examination and internal practical assessments.
The programme will be assessed continually through practical tasks and the completion of a log book of workshop based activities. Your theoretical work will be assessed by completion of a number of work related portfolios.
What do I need to sign up?
4 GCSEs at grade A*- E / 9-2 including English, Maths and a Science or IT subject are required.
A good achievement and attendance report from a previous school or college and a successful college interview and assessment will also be needed.
Is there anything else I need to know?
You will need to purchase steel toe-capped shoes and overalls for this programme.
Please note that all courses are subject to minimum numbers and course descriptions may be subject to change. A place on your chosen course is not confirmed until all of the necessary enrolment paperwork is signed and any relevant fees are paid. The team will be in touch to discuss this with you, once your application has been processed.
Click an option below to see more details and to apply.
|I1AF||Eastleigh College||12/9/2022||Full-Time||Full-Time||Full-Time||£1,766.00||Apply now|
* Please note that although this tool looks to give customers the best indication of course costs, a final cost can only be confirmed once all submitted information is verified by our information, advice and guidance team.
Need some further advice?
If you require further advice and guidance about any of our courses, the College has a dedicated Careers Advisor who can be contacted on telephone 023 8091 1014