What opportunities will this course give me?
This Dressmaking course will provide you with the skills and knowledge to start making your own garments.
Whilst this course does not have a formal qualification at the end, it is a fantastic way to widen your sewing skills with hands-on learning material among a group of likeminded enthusiasts.
Eastleigh College offer a number of other textile courses - please browse the website for more information.
What will I be learning?
You will develop knowledge and confidence in your sewing skills through:
• Learning how to use a sewing machine
• Taking personal measurements and learning how to adapt a pattern to fit
• Learning how to choose suitable fabrics for fashion styles
• Approaching the process of cutting out and assembling garments in a systematic way
• Sampling seams, hems, buttonholes and zips for a professional finish
• Learning how to use equipment in the workroom safely and with due consideration for others
• Using the creative process to develop personal ideas
• Making at least one item of your choice with guidance and support
• Gaining an understanding of how to use materials, tools and equipment effectively and safely
A college certificate is available upon completion of the course.
Why is this course for me?
The course will be taught through a practical hands on approach, with theory sessions taking place only as needed.
How will my learning be enhanced?
On this course, you will be taught by a qualified textiles tutor who will help you to learn the basic skills of dressmaking/sewing techniques.
Your tutor will be both friendly and accommodating, ensuring your experience on the course is stimulating and rewarding.
What do I need to sign up?
The course is suitable for complete beginners and those wishing to develop very basic skills by undertaking this introductory course. However, you should have the passion for dressmaking and a desire to develop your skills.
Please contact the Adult Community Learning team on 023 8091 1270 or email email@example.com if you are not sure of your ability level. We can refer you to one of our Dressmaking tutors who can assess whether the Beginners or Intermediate course would be the most suitable for you.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Learners will require a sewing kit. Full details of what to bring will be provided 7-10 days before the first lesson.
Learners are welcome to bring their own sewing machine to the course. Your sewing machine must be a standard domestic machine in good working order. Alternatively, sewing machines can be provided during the lesson.
Learners are responsible for purchasing necessary material, the cost of which will vary according to the project undertaken.
Please note that all courses are subject to minimum numbers and course descriptions may be subject to change. A place on your chosen course is not confirmed until all of the necessary enrolment paperwork is signed and any relevant fees are paid. The team will be in touch to discuss this with you, once your application has been processed.
Click an option below to see more details and to apply.
28/9/2023 - Apply Now
18:30 – 21:00
25/4/2023 - Apply Now
18:30 – 21:00
|C76A||Eastleigh College||28/9/2023||Thur||18:30 – 21:00||8||£190.00||£190.00||Apply now|
|C78C||Eastleigh College||25/4/2023||Tues||18:30 – 21:00||8||£175.00||£175.00|
* Please note that although this tool looks to give customers the best indication of course costs, a final cost can only be confirmed once all submitted information is verified by our information, advice and guidance team.
Need some further advice?
If you require further advice and guidance about any course costs and/or the funding options available to you, the College has a dedicated Adult and Community Learning team who can be contacted on telephone 023 8091 1270.