What opportunities will this course give me?
Have you always dreamt of crafting stories for the stage and the big screen? Our Scriptwriting course could be the perfect opportunity for you.
This screenwriting programme is designed for learners who love to write but aren't sure how to channel their words into a script, or for anyone who has a burning idea for a story and needs support building it into a play, programme or film. You will learn the basics of writing for these different platforms, as well as how to produce work of an industry standard.
You will be taught by an award nominated screenwriter, story editor and reporter who has a vast variety of experience both in education and the TV and film industry. He brings with him a sound knowledge of how to succeed in the industry with an engaging and flexible teaching style which learners engage with year after year.
The college offer a wide variety of leisure courses, including Creative Writing Beginners and Advanced Creative Writing. Please browse the website for further details.
What will I be learning?
This course will teach you how to write for the stage and screen, starting with how to format your scripts and screenplays to industry standards. We will also consider the value of writing with images, and why they are so important on the screen, learn about the difference between your 'story' and your 'plot', and focus on various methods to plan and structure your scripts. There is also scope to consider writing for radio, podcasting and comic books depending on the interests of the group.
Areas covered on the course include:
* Basic Formatting: You will learn how to correctly format your screenplays in accordance with industry standard.
* Story vs Plot: You will learn the fundamental differences between story and plot in your screenplays. Understanding the fundamental differences between these two pieces of narrative structure gives writers a better chance of producing quality pieces of work.
* Writing with Images: Writing in a visual medium is very different from writing prose; students will learn the importance of applying a visual consideration to their work. Images can provide tone, context and thematic resonance in visual pieces, something unique to writing for the screen - an understanding of this concept can help learners produce content that stands out over other writers.
* Dialogue, Description and Action: You will understand the importance of dialogue in your screenplays, as well as learning the best way to deliver verbal information in your pieces and how dialogue on the screen differs to prose and theatre.
Description and action are the backbone of screenplays. You will learn how to write and structure description and action sections of your screenplays, as well as the pitfalls of overwriting - a common mistake from learners who are used to writing in regular prose as oppose to for the screen.
* Structuring Your Story: Three act structure, five act structure, the Writer's Journey - all stories have a beginning, middle and end. You will learn how to plan and structure your screenplays in accordance to several different creative theories and discover what exactly happens during and between each stage of a story. You will learn the differences between each of the main creative theories and apply them appropriately to your own ideas, bringing your screenplays closer to the desired industry standard.
Why is this course for me?
The course is the perfect introduction to screenwriting, honing your skills and encouraging you to develop your own unique style. The course tutor will be on hand from start to finish to guide you with your studies and to stretch you out of your comfort zone with your writing development.
By the end of the course, you will be confident in formatting scripts to the highest standard, including the creative and technical aspects that turn a script from 'good to 'exceptional'.
How will my learning be enhanced?
While the course has no professional accreditation, it serves as a fantastic opportunity to 'dip your toe' into the world of screenwriting before exploring further formal qualifications. Many of our learners have progressed into University following completion of the course, with others going straight into work.
Competitions and initiatives will be suggested throughout the course, utilising the tutor's extensive experience. These opportunities will not be run by the college, but your tutor will support you if you wish to submit work to any of them.
Why is Eastleigh College my best choice?
At Eastleigh College, our ethos is to form and deliver courses that provide a realistic, authentic insight into your dream career. That's why our Screenwriting programme not only teaches you the structure and technical aspects of writing a script, but also what it takes to get that script onto a stage or screen.
The tutor has been working in the industry for nearly twenty years, spending time in theatre, TV and literature. During that time, they have also mentored writers who have gone onto have successful careers selling scripts in the UK and overseas. They have been nominated for the 'Peter Ustinov Award' at the International Emmys, their experience is truly exceptional.
What do I need to sign up?
This course would be perfect for anyone looking to write for the stage or screen, as well as those considering pursuing a degree in Screenwriting who would like a strong core understanding of the subject before embarking on a degree course.
Anyone suitably motivated can join.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Please bring pen and paper to the classes.
No other additional costs are anticipated.
Please note that all courses are subject to minimum numbers and course descriptions may be subject to change. A place on your chosen course is not confirmed until all of the necessary enrolment paperwork is signed and any relevant fees are paid. The team will be in touch to discuss this with you, once your application has been processed.
Click an option below to see more details and to apply.
|C420A||Eastleigh College||17/1/2023||Tue||19:00 – 21:00||8||£140.00||£140.00||Apply now|
* Please note that although this tool looks to give customers the best indication of course costs, a final cost can only be confirmed once all submitted information is verified by our information, advice and guidance team.
Need some further advice?
If you require further advice and guidance about any course costs and/or the funding options available to you, the College has a dedicated Adult and Community Learning team who can be contacted on telephone 023 8091 1270.
The Equality Act
The College wishes to ensure that it complies with the requirements of the Equality Act 2010. If you are a disabled person, please ensure that we know what you need so that we can make all reasonable adjustments to help you succeed.
Please note all courses descriptions may be subject to change.