What opportunities will this course give me?
Eastleigh College offer a number of other textile courses - please browse the website for more information.
What will I be learning?
You will develop knowledge and confidence in dressmaking through:
• Learning how to use a sewing machine
• Taking personal measurements and learning how to adapt a pattern to fit
• Learning how to choose suitable fabrics for fashion styles
• Approaching the process of cutting out and assembling garments in a systematic way
• Sampling seams, hems, buttonholes and zips for a professional finish
• Learning how to use equipment in the workroom safely and with due consideration for others
• Using the creative process to develop personal ideas
• Making at least one item of your choice with guidance and support
• Gaining an understanding of how to use materials, tools and equipment effectively and safely
A college certificate is available upon completion of the course.
Why is this course for me?
The course will be taught through a practical hands on approach, with theory sessions taking place only as needed.
How will my learning be enhanced?
On this course, you will be taught by a qualified textiles tutor who will help you to learn the basic skills of dressmaking.
Your tutor will be both friendly and accommodating, ensuring your experience on the course is stimulating and rewarding.
Why is Eastleigh College my best choice?
Here at Eastleigh College, we are proud of our comfortable, welcoming learning environment and community venues. Youll be alongside other learners who are keen to learn the same skills, opening you up to individuals with similar interests and mind-sets to you.
There is absolutely no pressure or expectations; we just want our learners to have the best time possible and leave feeling proud of their new skills.
What do I need to sign up?
The course is suitable for complete beginners and those wishing to develop very basic skills by undertaking this introductory course. However, you should have the passion for dressmaking and a desire to develop your skills.
Please contact us if you are not sure of your ability level. We can refer you to one of our Dressmaking tutors who can assess whether the Beginners or Intermediate course would be the most suitable for you.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Learners will require a sewing kit. Full details of what to bring will be provided before the first lesson.
Learners are welcome to bring their own sewing machine to the course. Your sewing machine must be a standard domestic machine in good working order.
Learners are responsible for purchasing necessary material, the cost of which will vary according to the project. In certain cases, the course tutor may source materials for you to purchase.
Please note that all courses are subject to minimum numbers and course descriptions may be subject to change. A place on your chosen course is not confirmed until all of the necessary enrolment paperwork is signed and any relevant fees are paid. The team will be in touch to discuss this with you, once your application has been processed.
Click an option below to see more details and to apply.
20/1/2022 - Apply Now
18:30 – 21:00
|C78B||Eastleigh College||20/1/2022||Thur||18:30 – 21:00||8||£170.00||£170.00||Apply now|
|C78C||Eastleigh College||26/4/2022||Tues||18:30 – 21:00||8||£170.00||£170.00||Apply now|
* Please note that although this tool looks to give customers the best indication of course costs, a final cost can only be confirmed once all submitted information is verified by our information, advice and guidance team.
Need some further advice?
If you require further advice and guidance about any course costs and/or the funding options available to you, the College has a dedicated Adult and Community Learning team who can be contacted on telephone 023 8091 1270.
The Equality Act
The College wishes to ensure that it complies with the requirements of the Equality Act 2010. If you are a disabled person, please ensure that we know what you need so that we can make all reasonable adjustments to help you succeed.
Please note all courses descriptions may be subject to change.