Eastleigh College showcases breadth of sustainability related courses for adult learners
With COP26 in full swing and sustainability at the front of peoples minds, Eastleigh College is highlighting the numerous courses it offers the adult learning community, centred around sustainability and the environment.
Adult Community Learning is personal development in the heart of our communities. The courses offered by the College encourage confidence building through learning a variety of skills and meeting new people, whilst supporting mental and emotional wellbeing.
Some of the most popular sustainability related adult courses on offer at the College include:
- Antique Furniture Restoration Create and reinvigorate products simply for the joy of craft or to sell as part of a business
- Reuse and Refresh Your Old Picture Frames Workshop Learn how to reuse and refresh a variety of old picture frames (this course is no longer available)
- Beekeeping for Beginners Bees are threatened by theeffects of climate change, learn the basics of looking after them
- Introduction to Organic Gardening Workshop Gain confidence that you are eating natural food with no health risks attached and that your garden has no negative effect on your environment (this course is no longer available)
Eastleigh College also recently launched The Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Environmental Sustainability aimed at adult learners and businesses. This brand new Certificate provides an overview of the principles of sustainable development, communities and energy management, and the social responsibility of businesses in relation to sustainability.
And it doesn’t end there; Eastleigh College’s Community Learning Programme offers a variety of short workshops on an exciting range of subjects many of which are linked to sustainability. All workshops are free to anyone over 18 and are a great way to explore different interests in a safe and supportive environment. Some examples of the exciting range of workshops we have coming up include:
- Cooking on a budget Teaches using ingredients that you may already have in your cupboard to limit food waste and also create delicious dishes without spending a fortune
- Simple Clothes Alterations Learn easy alteration skills and help reduce fast fashion
- Dressmaking for Beginners Learn skills in how to make simple clothing and repair existing garments
Lisa Wise, Adult and Community Learning Manager said, “Our portfolio of sustainability courses help learners to take action on climate change whilst learning about a subject area that they enjoy, with like-minded people in their community. At a time when we are all being encouraged to think more about our impact on the environment, we would recommend anyone interested in one of the courses to enrol as soon as possible as spaces are limited.”
Speaking about Eastleigh College's sustainability focus, Employment and Skills Manager for the One Horton Heath development and Eastleigh College Built Environment Board Member Lea Hampton said, “Eastleigh College's rich and varied sustainability courses are a fantastic offering for adult learners - and they couldn't have come at a better time. Sustainable practices are becoming more and more crucial in all aspects of society, helping individuals to develop sustainability skills and an environmental mindset has never been more important."
New eco funding approved through Public Sector Decarbonisation Scheme
Eastleigh College has been approved for Salix funding through the government’s Public Sector Decarbonisation scheme.
Eastleigh College awarded with Investors in Diversity status
Eastleigh College have been bestowed with national Investors in Diversity status.