Eastleigh College Confirms COVID-19 Cases
Confirmed Learner COVID-19 Cases (1800 on Thursday 19 November)
At midday on Thursday 19 November we were made aware of eight confirmed COVID-19 cases amongst College learners. Based on the information supplied in seven of these cases there has been possible transmission linked to attendance at the College. In addition two staff members are required to self-isolate whilst seeking tests. Through our seating and group plans we have been able to quickly identify any learner(s) who were in proximity to the affected learners and all identified learners have been contacted in advance of this information being posted online and through social media. The College has also made contact with the parents, guardians or carers of these individuals where they are under 18, or under 25 and have an Education Health and Care Plan.
As a result of the above we now have two further learner groups that will switch to remote learning for a minimum period of one week (Thursday 19 to Thursday 26 November 2020), we see this change as a proactive precaution. Like other educational institutions we continue to follow government guidance with regards to responding to any infection.
What to do if COVID 19 symptoms develop
If COVID-19 symptoms develop then you should:
- Remain at home for at least 10 days from the date when symptoms appeared. Anyone with symptoms will be eligible for testing and this can be arranged via https://www.nhs.uk/ask-for-a-coronavirus-test or by calling 119.
- All other household members who remain well, must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. This includes anyone in a ‘Support Bubble’.
- Further information is available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/stay-at-home-guidance-for-households-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection
- The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill.
- Household members should not go to work, school or public areas and exercise should be taken within the home.
- If you require help with buying groceries, other shopping or picking up medication, or walking a dog, you should ask friends or family. Alternatively, you can order your shopping online and medication by phone or online.
- Household members staying at home for 14 days will greatly reduce the overall amount of infection the household could pass on to others in the community
- If you are able, move any vulnerable individuals (such as the elderly and those with underlying health conditions) out of your home, to stay with friends or family for the duration of the home isolation period.
The most common symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) are the recent onset of:
- a new continuous cough
- a high temperature
- a loss of, or change in, your normal sense of taste or smell (anosmia)
For most people, coronavirus (COVID-19) will be a mild illness
If symptoms develop you can seek advice from the nhs.uk website at https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/check-if-you-have-coronavirus-symptoms/. If you are concerned about your symptoms, or they are worsening you can seek advice from NHS 111 at https://111.nhs.uk/ or by phoning 111.
How to stop COVID-19 spreading
There are things you can do to help reduce the risk of you and anyone you live with getting ill with COVID-19
- wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- wash your hands as soon as you get home
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
Further information is available at https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
Eastleigh College delighted to support inaugural Central South Business Awards
We are delighted to have played a part in a fresh celebration of local business successes in our Solent community.
Championing Sustainability at Eastleigh College
We are excited to announce the launch of our new Sustainability Champion programme.